Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Oh flower why have you five petals...

Yesterday, I made a flower.




I really really like making three dimensional crochet patterns.




I'm thinking on day I'll be brave enough to try an Amigurumi! But not today.




Why not today? Well this cute little flower, is meant to have six petals. So why, oh gorgeous little flower, do you have only five???

It's the start of the Week 3 square for the Spotlight rug. Apparently it's caused quite a kerfuffle. Spotlight aren't putting up any helpful instructions, so it's up to the crocheter to figure out how the pattern goes. Which is fine for experienced hookers (haha, get your mind out of the gutter people!) but for those of us who don't have that much success in reading patterns and translating them immediately to how they're supposed to look, it's a challenge. This pattern, is a challenge. However, I love making flowers, so I was excited.

It took until round 3 for me to understand how it was supposed to start.

Round 1: make the chain loop to start.
Round 2: make 12 treble crochet stitches
Round 3: ch 2, htr, (dec2htr) 5 times, join with first stitch.

HA! Holy schamole, it's been so long since I've decreased a stitch, I had to go look it up. It's actually quite easy: you're turning two stitches into one, so for a row with 12 stitches in it, and you create two new ones at the start (with the ch 2, htr), it makes sense that you'd need to join together 2 htr into one to decrease down into around 6 stitches. BUT the pattern DOESN'T TELL YOU that's what you're trying to do.

And it turns out, I decreased apparently one too many times. Or maybe I didn't. I'm not quite sure what went wrong, except that I didn't make six petals a turn: I only made five.

So. I'm going to attempt, at some point this week, so demonstrate how each step looks at the end of it. I'm going to need luck!

For those who gave up at this block, pick it back up. What you need to understand to get through Round 3, is that you're drawing the little circle up, to make a dome :)

I also worked it back to front, which I'm not sure is right either. See how my petals seem to bend outwards, like a normal flowers' petals would? I think they're supposed to turn inwards instead, like a flower just beginning to bloom, instead of in full bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment